A tattoo henna has millennial origins straight from the East. In Indian culture, the art mehendias henna is known there, is common to adorn women’s hands, especially those of brides.
Here in Brazil, the henna concept has gained a differentiated adaptation and is, increasingly, invading the coast and other occasions. Check out, therefore, a practical guide about henna tattooing, with the main information and amazing pictures for possible inspiration.
What is a henna tattoo?
Henna tattooing is an art that, unlike traditional tattooing, marks the skin only temporarily. It originates from the Indian culture and its ink is the fruit of a small tree (called henna), from which a coloring extract is extracted that is also used to dye fabrics or hair.
Nowadays, in some cultures, other components are mixed to the extract of this plant that guarantee different textures and colors. Therefore, it is essential to take special care with this type of tattoo and always seek reliable professionals to avoid skin problems.
How is a henna tattoo done?
- Extract is taken from the dried leaves of the henna. These leaves are ground into a powder.
- This powder is mixed with water until it results in a thick paste – the tattoo ink.
- The drawing on the skin is done with a stencil. You can improvise with a pen or eye pencil.
- You cover the drawing with the henna ink using a brush or a special pen.
- The paste should dry completely, and after a good while, you remove the excess.
Although it sounds simple, the procedure should only be performed by professionals who know the proper measure of extract to apply to your skin.
How long does a henna tattoo last?
The durability of a henna tattoo on the skin can vary depending on a few factors:
- Part of the body where the henna was applied
- Quality of the henna
- Time the paste stayed on the skin before being removed
- Care after application
A well done and well cared for tattoo can last from 20 to 30 days. It is certain that quality henna stays on the skin for at least a week.
50 henna tattoos to inspire you for next summer
Since, here in Brazil, the henna tattoo has gained its fame on the beaches, check out 50 inspirations for you to enjoy your vacation with even more style:
1. The henna can bring an extra touch to your hands
2. It can be applied to any part of the body
3. And also contemplate the most diverse designs
4. Because it is temporary, you can make a very bold design without fear
5. But you can also mark that very delicate design for a while
6. Speaking of delicacy, check out this gem
7. This design is creative and very stylish
8. Typical shoulder birds can be made in henna
9. Henna pleases and adds friends who don’t have the courage to get a permanent tattoo
10. And it can also bring a plus for mature skin on special occasions
11. There are henna options with colors
12. For pregnant women to mark a special moment
13. And after a while it gets a very different and rustic look
14. The advantage is that you can mark whatever part of the body you want
15. And get the tattoo that you would never have the courage to do if it were permanent
16. And also try out that design you’ve been thinking about getting tattooed one day
17. Hands are the most common places to get henna tattoo
18. But don’t stick to traditions and vary the places
19. There is room for discreet tattoos
20. And for the most worked ones too
21. There is henna in various colors
22. And various styles
23. White henna is a tradition for Indian brides
24. And the designs are mostly reminiscent of this rich and ancient culture
25. Make that mandala you like so much
26. Or that design that caught your eye
27. Keep the tradition of floral designs
28. The color of the tattoo after the removal of the shell becomes very interesting
29. Caprice your nails for an even more beautiful look
30. The delicacy of roses expressed in the hands
31. A whimsical design in the details to match the summer
32. Look at this tribute to cats in the most delicate way possible
33. This magnificent mirror is a tribute to Oxum
34. In Brazil, it is very common to get henna tattoos on beaches
35. Can you imagine what style this work of art would bring to the summer look?
36. Since the ink comes off and the procedure is painless, even children can get in on the act
37. You can opt for the famous lotus flower
38. Or pay homage to your beliefs
39. Simply unite creativity and style in a single design
40. Writings are always welcome
41. Gather your friends and see who is the most creative
42. An amazing design to celebrate the (re)birth
43. And this art that looks like a lie?
44. Henna, even if temporary, is not synonymous with sloppiness
45. She is an art that comes to please all tastes and styles
46. And further enhance the composition of the look
47. The important thing is to let creativity flow
48. Without fear of regretting later
49. Because one thing is certain
50. Even tentative, henna guarantees an amazing tattoo!
Henna tattoo: price
Henna has, on average, affordable prices in Brazil. On the coast, for example, you can find henna tattoos between R$15 and R$100, depending on the size, design, and details of the tattoo.
Even with tempting prices, always investigate the origin of the material used by the professional.
- Do not touch, rub, scratch or scratch the henna tattoo for at least 15 minutes after application.
- Do not touch the tattoo to anything and keep it, right after application, away from clothes and hair (ink stains!)
- Keep your body warm so that the ink settles faster on the skin. You can, for example, drink something warm before the application.
- Wrap the tattoo carefully using toilet paper. This prevents the peels from falling to the floor and staining the floor.
- Do not wash the henna with soap for at least 24 hours.
- Pass natural oils to moisturize the tattoo. Avoid chemical moisturizers so that there is no risk of the ink fading faster.
- Never scratch the design.
- In case of burning or reddish spots, consult a doctor immediately.
See how henna tattooing can be something very interesting? If you want to try this ancient Indian art, choose your favorite design, pay attention to the precautions, and look for a reliable professional!